CEUTA CEUTA AND MELILLA

CEUTA

Data of the Town

Ceuta

Town

The Only city: Ceuta

Municipality

Ceuta

Province

Ceuta

Community

Autonomous of Ceuta

Habt. / Ine 2005

76100

 

Town hall

Direction

Pl. Africa s/n

ZIP code

51001

Phone

95.652.82.00

Fax

95.652.82.00

Office Tourism

956528146

Official web

Ceuta

Web of Interest

It knows Ceuta

E-mail municipality

conoceceuta@hotmail.com
 

Ceuta is a Spanish and European city in the north of Africa. Stirrup of an imaginary bridge that joins two continents; natural overcoat in the middle of the Strait of Gibraltar, in which there join the waters of the Atlantic Ocean and the Mediterranean, is a natural seat of peoples and different cultures.


It is, precisely, this character of city opened for the world what has done it that at present live in her European, African and Asian. There are mixed this way the cultures and idiosyncrasy of Christians, Muslims, hindúes and Jews like principal communities of this cosmopolitan population, who takes the respect and the coexistence as identity signs.

Also, his dimensions, his balance between urban and wooded areas, his beaches and his wonderful climate, her do a magnificent place to visit and to enjoy


The origin of the name of Ceuta can go back to the designation given by the Romans to seven mounts of the region (Septem Fratres). Of Septem> Septa> Ceita> Ceupta> Ceuta. Along the history Ceuta was occupied successively for Phoenician, Greek, Carthaginian, Roman, vandal, visigoths, Byzantine, Muslims and Portugueses, being, at least from the XIIIth century, as it is proved by the Songs of Santa Maria of Alfonso X the Wise person, in the look of Castile inside the ambience of an expansionist project of this Crown, which first steps go back to the reign of Fernando III the "Saint".

The historical patrimony is provided with a magnificent monumental set in the Real Walls, between other examples of fortifications that go from the Middle Ages until our days. Also, we are provided with numerous museums, several archaeological deposits visitables, baroque temples and a notable architecture of the XXth century.



Sights: In the center of the city the following ones can be:

Cathedral: Under the dedication of the Asunción of the Virgin, it was constructed on a mosque of the epoch of Arab domination (711-1415). During the place of 30 years it was a blood hospital. The last reshaping is of 1949. They emphasize the Chapel of the Holiest with a baroque reredos and the fresh air of Miguel Bernardini, in addition to three big linens and the image of the Virgin Flagship of Portuguese origin (XVth century). With neoclassic front of black marble. Interior with three ships, with big choir in the front.



Real walls and Pit of San Felipe, with the Museum of the Real Walls: They emphasize the Square of Weapon, marine navigably, exterior bastions of this pit. They date of the epoch of Arab domination the most interior, suffering later modifications, being the most important part constructed by the Portugueses and reconstructed by the Spanish in the year 1674 and 1705. At present, the Real Walls receive one of the head offices of the Museum of the City, specifically, in called Revellín de San Ignacio. They are completed also, with a few underground galleries excavated for the defense of the city.

Walls of the Walk of the Palm trees: north linen of the ancient walls of the city.

Sanctum and Church of Santa Maria of Africa: Constructed in the XVth century, with later reforms, being the most important that of the XVIIIth century. The image the Navigator seems to be Byzantine, donated by the infante Enrique. Artistically it has little suppressed, but spiritually it performs big force.

Municipal palace or Assembly: It was constructed in 1926. The Real Standard survives in him. The Lounge of the Throne and the Assembly hall has a panelled care and fresh air of Mariano Bertuchi. The standard is of silk of damask red and purple, embroidered by Mrs Felipa for "major sheen of the Lusitanian crown". It takes the shield of Portugal as symbol of the city. It survives in the Municipal Palace and parades with the authorities the day of the festivity of the Corpus Christi. It has honors of Captain general.

Church of San Francisco.

Church of Ntra. Mrs. of the Remedies.

Marine park of the Mediterranean: Constructed and designed by César Manrique.

Big Casino of Ceuta: Installed in the Marine Park.

Arab bath: The remains found in Ceuta and dated in the XIIIth century, represent the plant of an atypical Arab bath, in zigzag, with four stays, parallel bars two to two constituted by four finished rooms. All of them present a form perceptibly rectangular, with his sides biggest faced in the direction N-Century.

House of the Dragons. Basilica Tardorromana: with his attached museum.

Synagog of Betel.

Auditorium projected by the Portuguese architect Álvaro Siza (still in construction)

Building Trujillo.

House of the Dragons.

Monument to the Fallens in the War of Africa: It is placed in the Square of Africa. It was chosen to the fallens in the War (1859-60). His height is 13,50 meters, in the low part it has interesting bas-reliefs in bronze, realized by Susillo. It possesses a crypt that does not have free access.

Monument and Square of the Lieutenant Ruiz: One of the nicest corners of the city, opened to the Real Street. Constructed in honor of the hero native of Ceuta Jacinto Ruiz and Mendoza, one of the heroes of May 2, 1808 during the War of the Independence.

Statues of the ancient Garden of San Sebastian: Placed in the heart of the city, they represent the work, the graphic arts, the industry, the commerce, the navigation and to Africa.

Monument to the Tte. Colonel González Tablas.

Monument to Hércules: in even number, sculptures flanking the estuary of the port.

Fortress or Castle of the Sarchal: Small castle of coastal alertness, which was fortified at the beginning of the XVIIIth century. Nevertheless, at the end of this century it was already cuarteado, by what there was decided his demolition, which only was begun by a small demolition that gave place to the part detached under the same one. In the middle of the XIXth century it begun to be used like prison, then like laundry rooms and again like women's jail


Strong and ancient Chapel of San Amaro.

Fortaleza of the Mount Torch: Placed in the mount of the same name, his first construction believes it is of origin Byzantine and consolidated in the epoch of the omeyas. The Portugueses preserved it. Nevertheless, his current construction was made by the Spanish in the XVIIIth and XIXth centuries. This fortification is complemented in the western part of the city by the fortresses of the Harem, Prince Alfonso, Elizabeth II, Benzú (missing person), Aranguren, Mendizábal, Piniers, Francisco de Asís, Denied and Anyera.

Chapel of San Antonio of the Tojal: with a lookout in his previous part.

Castle of the Desnarigado.

Walls Merinidas: It is a question of a set of walls and turrets of the XIIIth century constructed during the Arab domination. This wide enclosure, throughout the years it was a citadel, hostel, harness refuge, strangers and troops that were turning out to be forced to happen the night out of the city center of the medieval city. These walls constitute one of the most important monumental remains of the historical past native of Ceuta. Of almost 1.500 m of primitive construction, nowadays only the western flank stays in foot, with approximately 500 m, several bastions and two twin towers that frame the called Door of Fez.

Fortresses Neomedievales: Placed in the mountainous area that native of Ceuta closes the peninsula on his border with Morocco, they were constructed in the middle of the XIXth century when, finished the war with Morocco and sealed the peace with the Treaty of Wad-Ras, it was considered to be opportune to assure the frontier boundary with a series of towers of alertness that should prepare possible aggressions proceeding from the exterior.

Christ de Medinaceli: It is an image that keeps in the Church of San Ildefonso (District of the Prince).

Faro of Top Almina.

District and beach of Benzú: it lodges typical teterías.

Beach of Calamocarro.

Sports port.

Seaworthy town.

Park of San Amaro: with the bordering Source of Hillocks.

Beach of the Bank.


Beach of the Steady flow.

Beach of the Sarchal.

Beach of San Amaro.

In general terms, Ceuta is a calm and sure city. Removed from the overcrowding of other tourist destinations, it is sufficiently small as so that the dealing with the people is human and big enough as always to find something than to do.

The recovery of the Cultural heritage, along with the construction of new Tourist Infrastructures that promote the tourism of the sun and beach, the restructuring of the commerce, the enlargement of the port and the new industrial investments, they plan the way of future of a city with big aspirations.

Tourist services:

Bastion of the Majorcans. C. Edrisis, s/n C.P. 51.000 Phone: 856-200560

Office Tourist Information Marine Station. Phone: 956-506275

FTES AND PHOTOS TO SEE THE LINKS: www.ceuta.es and http://es.wikipedia.org/ 

searching google
Búsqueda personalizada
Menu
You Paginate Friends
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me



Lost Password?

Register now!
To look for